12.15.2007

Advent: The Police State


Samson and Jane received a really sweet (and thoughtful) gift from their Uncle Greg's parents.

It's called The Elf on the Shelf and includes a story about one of Santa's helpers as well as a little elf doll.

The elf, which the recipient names, flies up to Santa every night to tell the big man about the kids in the house. [Samson named his "Google." I wish I was kidding.]

Each morning it's a game to see where Google is hiding. So basically, we now live with a pixie-sized informant who lurks among the books, toys, and general clutter of our house.

I can't wait for my sister to get this gift. That clown scene in Poltergeist had a profound effect on her, and she's still a little freaked out at fixed-smile dolls.

Young Samson, however, carries no such baggage [not yet, anyway], and he loves looking for Google every morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Young Samson's counterpart in Atlanta has named her elf, Duilio, which is my dad's father's name. I'm sure he's looking down from the heavens with great joy.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... I always thought it would be spelled Dewelio.

Anonymous said...

Nope - the correct paesano spelling is Duilio. Although he more commonly went by Dewey so if his nickname and full name had a baby, it'd probably be Dewelio.