2.05.2010

Recommended viewing

I don't get to the movies often, and so I'm more than three years behind the curve on this one, but it's a compelling and, ultimately pretty haunting film.

I'd read about the race in a book not long ago and just happened to find the movie available on Netflix. I think what I found so interesting is how ordinary the protagonist seemed. Thirty-five years old, four kids, pretty regular life in late-60s England. And yet there was something wanting for him, and so he went to sea.

As I watched it, I was reminded of one of my favorite lines from Moby Dick when Ishmael describes what happens to one of the crew (Pip) who jumps from a whale boat fast to a whale and is left behind: "in calm weather, to swim in the open ocean is as easy to the practised swimmer as to ride in a spring-carriage ashore. But the awful lonesomeness is intolerable. The intense concentration of self in the middle of such a heartless immensity, my God! who can tell it?"



No comments: