6.03.2007

In the kitchen with Dada

Never let it be said that this isn't a full-service blog. In addition to making strawberry jam last night, I also made a really nice strawberry soup. We'll be making strawberry crepes later for dessert.

[Sidenote: Taken in the context of the farm stand, seven pounds of strawberries doesn't look like that much. In the kitchen, it's a whole other story; seven pounds is a hell of a lot of strawberries. It occurred to me, as I worked in the kitchen last night, that Jane didn't weight seven pounds at birth; so there you have it.]

In any event, here's a great recipe I found for strawberry soup.

Ingredients:

1 quart strawberries, washed and hulled
1 cup sugar
1 cup white wine
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Basically, you put everything in a food processor and, er, process it until it's smooth. Then chill and serve. You can garnish it with mint leaves, strawberry slices, and a dollop of fresh whipped cream if you like.

I had a sample last night, and you can probably halve the amount of white wine the recipe calls for. Unfortunately, I'm from the Hannah Arendt school of recipe following, so because the order was given, I obeyed.

Which is to say that Sam will not be sharing in the soup.

Also, Vicki may start singing Carole King songs or challenging me to arm wrestle. We'll see.

But it really does taste good.

No comments: