10.23.2007

Rebel, rebel

So Samson got a time-out yesterday at school. Whenever he tells us this now, we have to verify it because he kept coming home and telling us he'd gotten time-outs [or would that be times-out?] when he had not. I think he may be trying to impress his sister and burnish his street-cred.

Regardless, he did indeed get one yesterday. It occurred, as they always seem to, at nap time. However, I'm not sure what to think about the infraction. He got in trouble for taking his shoes off at nap time. Apparently the kids need to have their shoes on while they sleep. I have no idea why this would be. I know soldiers in combat sleep in their shoes, as do hobos on boxcars, cowboys on the range, and drunks in college dorms, but three-year-olds in school?

Samson had taken one shoe off when he was given a warning. By the time Miss Carrie turned back around, Samson had both shoes off and his socks on his hands. Hence, the time-out.

I've seen the socks on hands things a million times at our house, and it's kind of weird and sort of funny, but it hardly seems like a time-outable offense. Besides, isn't nap time just a giant time-out anyway?

I don't want to be one of those parents who meddles, and I'm fine with him being disciplined for not listening [which seems to be at the core of this little incident].

But it seems like a pointless rule to me. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so. Sam's partner in non napping, Nora, is like "Girl, Interrupted" in that class every day at nap time. Her mom works with Vicki and has come to the conclusion that Miss Carrie is just barely hanging on in terms of keeping the kids in line. So perhaps this is less about keeping order and more about drawing a line in the sand.

Either way, I found myself last night telling him to keep his shoes on at school and not to put his socks on his hands. Good grief...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just happened upon your blog and this is hilarious! Especially when you ended it with "good grief"... LOL!!

Anonymous said...

You know, its better to leave the building during a fire drill with your socks and shoes on. Tell Safety Sam that and he might digest it better. Besides its real hard to turn a door knob with socks on your hands. See you Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I must say, as somone who works in a childcare setting, Fireman Dave requires all our napping kiddies to be wearing shoes in case of a fire alarm.

Anonymous said...

Question is which do you put on first? Both socks then both shoes or one sock one shoe, then the other sock and other shoe... hmm! (All In The Family episode with Archie and Meat-head) Ponderous!!