10.04.2007

Three feet high and rising

Samson had his annual check up yesterday, and he is now 3 feet 1 inch tall. He's still not quite 30 pounds, however, which may have less to do with his diet [he eats almost everything] and more to do with the fact that he is rarely not in motion. Even when he's asleep.

I know this because he slept in our bed last night. Why? Funny you should ask.

I am not a betting man, which is probably a good thing because I clearly have no sense of playing the percentages. I changed Sam's sheets last night, switching out Star Wars for pirate ships, and figured I'd give the mattress cover thingy a wash too. I mean, it's been months since he's leaked through a diaper, so he could go one night without the cover, right?

Wrong. I was downstairs, having successfully put him to bed if not to sleep when I heard the familiar staccato cry of "Dad-deee, Dad-deh, Dad-deee, Dad-deh. I'm wet. I'm weee-eeee-eeee-eee-eee-eee-eee-eee-eeeTTTT"

He actually held the last word for the entire time it took me to climb two flights of stairs and get to him. And indeed, he was wet. Not from leakage but from spillage. Apparently the plug in his sippy cup (a cup of water is a requisite sleeping aid for young Sam) was not fully, er, plugged. I didn't notice this. Vicki didn't notice this. But Samson did. And he decided to pour it over his head. So when I arrived, he was soaked, literally from head to toe, and his mattress had a nice pool of water beneath the now soaked pirate ship sheets.

Change of diaper, change of PJs, change of venue: Instant sleepover with Samson. To be fair, it was pretty damn funny, and I was hard-pressed to look stern while telling him he shouldn't pour water over his head in bed.

In other news: Sweet Jane had her nine-month check up yesterday, and she too is low on the weight percentiles.

Interestingly, she's tracking right along with where her brother was at this time. Our pediatrician, God love him, assured Vicki there was nothing to worry about: the kids are happy, healthy, and developmentally on target.

He thinks we might want to start letting them snack on sticks of butter during car trips, but otherwise no worries...

No comments: