5.08.2008

Catch of the day


Have I mentioned that Samson is crazy for baseball? And yes, those are batting gloves on his hands. He's also apparently crazy for accessories.

I'm not sure when this happened, but this spring was Sam's awakening to the national pastime. And I'll be honest (if immodest), he's got a really good stance and terrific eye-hand coordination. More important: He doesn't get mad when he misses the ball. I've been trying to give him a little Buddhism with his batting practice, namely: "missing is as much a part of baseball as hitting."

I was not a little leaguer as a kid [see: ball, afraid of; see also, parents, athletic agnostics], but I have always liked the game, and I am having the time of my life every night after dinner with Samson.

I know this weather won't last, and who knows how long his interest will remain [a few months ago he was all about superheroes], but this spring (and especially since I finished my thesis), one of the best parts of my day is when I am "on the mound" watching Samson dig in at the plate [he taps his Crocs and home plate before taking his practice cuts] and hearing him say "ready for the pitch."

Last night we finished up our game and went for ice cream. It was 7 o'clock and about 68 degrees outside with a light breeze from the south. We sat in front of the ice cream place, and Sam looked at me, his face already covered with cotton candy ice cream [which, incidentally, tastes even worse than it sounds], and said "Thank you, Daddy. I'm really having a fun time."

I don't want to get all George Bailey on you, but I am the luckiest guy I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i guess on my next trip down, Slugger Sam will get one of uncle Tim's softball trophies