5.19.2008

The Equalizer

Samson is not a particularly aggressive child. And, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, he's got a pretty firm grasp on the whole "we-don't-hit-people" thing. Which is great, of course, but there are times when I wish he was a little, well, morally flexible.

There's a kid at his school, whose name is Ruddy (short for Rutherford, so you've already guessed what his parents are like), and Ruddy is a hitter. He is in the twos, so they only interact on the playground, but Samson has come home more than a few times telling us about Ruddy hitting him. We've kept the party line --- tell him to stop, move away from him, tell a teacher --- and it has worked pretty well.

However, on Friday, as I was dropping Samson off and all the kids were playing, Ruddy walked up behind us and hit me. Now I realize I'm not particularly intimidating, but I think most two-year-olds don't even talk to adults they don't know much less assault them. He kept on walking, and once I got over the shock of "did that kid just hit me?" I sprang into action.

I said, loudly, "Hey you. What's your name?" Obviously, I know the kid's name, but if I learned anything by being raised by two teachers, it's that you immediately assert your authority by demanding at least a name (if not a hall pass).

I then told him to go sit in the corner. At which point his teacher, who was in the room, asked "Did he just hit you?" and gave him a time-out over by her. Samson was a little confused by all of this but must have figured it out because I left him with a huge smile on his face.

Vicki thought it was hilarious that I gave someone else's child a time-out, in school no less, but I just kind of reacted. It didn't occur to me not to give him one. I felt like Edward Woodward (see below).

Anyway, I told Samson that if Ruddy hits him again, he might think about hitting him back. Hard. Just once. I told him he could expect to get in trouble at school but that I would not punish him. [Heck, I might take him out for ice cream.]

That said, I think Samson is a better person than I am. Plus school's out in two weeks...

No comments: