1.15.2010

The wages of sloth


My good friend Jen over at Clever Title TK was kind enough to give me a year-end prod about getting back to blogging. I stopped, without truly meaning to, toward the end of the summer as Vicki was headed back to work, Jane was starting school for the first time, Sam was starting school full-time, and I was getting into the core of training for the marathon. So I'm not saying I have an excuse for these many months of silence, but...

In any event, I'm back. Mostly because I'm afraid of Jen. Not really. (But a little.)

If this were a family sitcom --- especially one from my childhood --- four months away would have been enough of a time lapse to have Samson now in college (but still living at home), Jane in middle school, and introduce a new member of the family (like the late season additions of Jeremy to the Bradfords or Luke to the Seavers). Before my mother-in-law reads this and thinks I'm sending a coded message that Vicki is pregnant, let me say this: We are not having a baby. Also, we have not adopted Leonardo DiCaprio. Sorry Vicki.

Still, four months is a fair amount of time. And while it would be tedious (for me as well as you, dear reader) to go through the litany of what happened since the end of the summer, I think I can best sum it up in the following formats: movie trailer, haiku, interpretive dance, and tweet.


September
[Scene opens on the second floor of our house, camera goes from room to room; toys are strewn about and children are sleeping soundly. Suddenly, a curtain opens and daylight fills the room. Sam sits up, blinking, then buries his head back into the pillow.] Voiceover begins: In a world... where mom's out of the house by 6:15 a.m., where beds don't make themselves and kids have a sense of time that borders on the Aboriginal, one man stands between order and chaos. [Jump cut to me, Matrix-style, serving up waffles; fixing Jane's ponytails, and diving through the air with a toothbrush in each hand toward Samson and Jane.] Coming this fall: "Weekday Mornings at My House."

October

Oh, did I mention?
I ran 26.2
Miles (in a row!)

[And yes, that is a gratuitous shot of me post-marathon. Despite the fact that the race was in October, I'm milking it for all it's worth.]

November

Sorry, I couldn't get the video link to work. Trust me, it's better this way.


December

@dada-ism: Looking back on this year and the decade. Lots to be thankful for (Vicki, Sam, Jane, sandwiches). Here's to 2010 and beyond.

2 comments:

Jennifer Mendelsohn said...

I am kind of fearsome, aren't I?

You made me laugh out loud, as always.

Glad I dragged you out of retirement.

Sara said...

Glad to have you back Brian...didn't realize how much I had missed your writing until I read your last few posts!