3.01.2006

I am Samson

Samson has started saying his name. It actually sounds more like Sassoon (as in Siegfried) or Sasson (as in Ooh La La), but it's pretty cool to know that he knows what his name is.

The latter pronunciation would make even more sense given that he's suddenly become fascinated with the mirror. There's a mirror on the wall next to his changing table, and now when I hold him in front of it, he smiles and raises his arms behind his head in some kind of strike-a-pose maneuver. It's really sweet, and a little weird. But mostly sweet.

In other news, after months of "no," we finally got him to say "yes." He only said it once, and he seemed immediately aware of the fact that he'd given away some kind of secret. As if saying no was protecting him from eating foods he didn't want, but now that yes was out of the bag, the game was up.

It reminded me of a story I once heard about the orangutan. I don't remember if the myth came from Indonesia or Malaysia, but legend has it that the "man of the forest" can actually speak. He chooses to stay silent, however, for fear that if people know he can talk and understand them, he'll be put to work. Makes sense to me.

Sorry, Samson, but mama and I heard that "yes." Take heart, little man, it was a good run while it lasted...

No comments: