3.21.2006

Simple pleasures


The weekend was good but very busy. We drove up Saturday morning and came back home Sunday night. Samson got to spend time with his grandparents and his aunts and uncles and just generally run around playing. I think it's safe to say he had a blast. I think it's also safe to say we need to pay closer attention to him when he's carrying crayons; he "colored" the cushions on my mom's rocking chair.

Despite the quick visit, we did manage to get to the beach to try out our new kite. If it hadn't been Siberia cold, I might still be there. The wind was so strong that it took me almost ten minutes just to get the thing back down. Clearly my kite-flying skills are not the kind that could stand as allegory for a life's journey or the fate of a war-torn country, but we had lots of fun.

I wish I had an audio clip of Samson saying "wow!" as the kite took off. As my mother-in-law would say, it was "awesome."

And yes, those are grown-up mittens on young Samson. He has his own but for some reason prefers the giant, cumbersome hand-covering option. I think they actually acted as a counterweight and helped him keep his balance on the sand.

He's going to be amazed this summer to discover that going to the beach doesn't always entail biting wind and near hypothermic conditions.

No comments: