3.15.2006

Speaking in tongues

Samson has new words all the time, but we can almost always figure out what they are. Here's a sample of his lexicon:

Hojew: literally, "hold you," which he says while putting his arms upward, asking to be held. We figure he derived it from our saying, "Do you want me to hold you?"

Bakkahn: pronounced with almost a Cajun inflection, this is what Samson says when he wants to put his shoes "back on." We typically hear this in the car immediately after the tell-tale velcro sound of him removing his shoes.

Pokock: inexplicably, this is the word for garbage truck.

Wukkum: "welcome," which Samson usually says in response to our coaching of "can you say thank you?" Sort of a right church, wrong pew kind of thing.

But a new word surfaced while I was away, and as yet, we still have no idea what it means.

We can't even figure out what part of speech it represents. We do know he finds the word hilarious because he laughs when he says it. Which, of course, makes us laugh.

The word, and I don't pretend to know how to spell it, is pronounced Buk-uh-nay-nay.

It hews to no particular time of day or specific situation and seems to be an all-purpose word. I think I may start using it myself. I've got a three o'clock meeting; maybe I'll see if I can throw a little buckinaynay in there.

No comments: