11.26.2006

Riding that train...


Not only did we see Santa at the railroad museum on Friday, but we also got to see a miniature Dick Cheney at the model railroad town.


Strange, no?

Samson also got to try his first candy cane. It was a big hit.


The weather was perfect, and there were lots of families wandering around the train gardens outside.


As we walked around, and I overheard some of the dads talking to their kids about the finer points of railroad models ("See that one? That's an 1880 Shea; you can tell by the pistons."), I realized how little I know about trains.

This realization did not in any way make me sad.

[Sidenote: I have nothing against train guys; I just don't aspire to be one. It's a level of enthusiasm that escapes me. To me, they inhabit the same universe as Civil War reenactors and those guys who sit at the ballpark listening to the play-by-play on headphones while watching the game (and keeping score). I say this knowing full well the glazed-eye look I get from Vicki when I start talking about Moby-Dick.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know Brian, i appriciate the finer form of steam trains, especially the 2-6-2 engine( i will let you figure that one out for yourself. I dont dress up for a reinactment of a civil war battle, but i will go to one. Ad how can you go to a baseball game without keeping score? and the earplugs are necessary in Brooklyn to see what the yanks are doing