4.01.2007

The right stuff

Yesterday was the kite festival on the National Mall. It was part of the Cherry Blossom Festival, which, in case you were wondering, is being brought to you this year by the good people at Target. I'm sure that's just what the citizens of Tokyo had in mind 95 years ago. Nothing says friendship and understanding like super-low prices on home goods and toiletries.

[By the way, what did they do with the Cherry Blossom Festival during World War II? Did they pull an "I Love Lucy" after Castro's ascendance, pretending Ricky was Mexican? (I think that's true by the way, but I can't find any evidence right now; besides I'm supposed to be working on my thesis). Or do cherry blossoms seem sufficiently American that they didn't need to do any freedom fries type maneuvers? I digress.]

Anyway, the wind was gusty but not constant, which meant I had a better chance of getting Sam airborne than our kite. Which was fine, as he really just wanted to run around on the giant lawn anyway [especially since the last time we were in DC, the Mall looked like this].

So we did lots of running and ultimately ended up at the Air and Space Museum.


Lots of cool hands-on stuff, but I think we oversold it on the walk over. Samson, apparently, was led to believe we'd be flying a rocket ship.

This pretty much made up for it, though.


In case you're wondering, he's looking at the girl patiently waiting her turn behind him in line.

No comments: