4.30.2007

Worth reading

Saw this article today in the NY Times. Worth a read.

Obviously, Samson and Jane are a long ways away from college, but I look at the current environment and the long, joyless processions of kids I see shuttled to and from music lessons, sports, and compulsory community service projects with a fair degree of dread. It reminds me a little of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis," albeit in minivans and SUVs.

I'm not nearly as old as the author of the Times piece, but I wonder at this generation of high school overachievers and where all this application-worthy experience is leading.

One of the best summer jobs I ever had was working as a busboy/waiter/barback at a restaurant. I'm sure a summer internship with my district's congressman would have done wonders for my resume, but I'm kind of glad that I wasn't thinking about my resume at 19.

I'm not trying to sabotage my kids' futures or anything, and who knows, perhaps they will both be desperate for schedules as full as any CEO's, but I really hope they can just be kids.

There's no spot on a college application for tree climbing. Which is kind of what makes it fun, no?

No comments: