2.25.2009

Because I do not hope to turn again

Today is Ash Wednesday. And aside from being pretentious and quoting T.S. Eliot, I'm thinking about Lent. Also, I'm eating a giant ham and bacon sandwich. OK, not really; just putting that out there in the (very) off chance my folks are reading this.

No, I'm thinking about Lent because, as I've noted earlier, I expect this Easter is going to require a LOT of explaining. I mentioned to Samson last night that today is the start of Lent and that it's the time we spend getting ready for Easter. So far so good.

I then said, since he goes to an Episcopal school and might see folks showing up for services, that today is a day many people put ashes on their foreheads as a reminder that we're just sort of passing through this life on our way to the next one. Heady stuff, I know, but it's not like I'm making it up.

And unfortunately, he's not old enough yet for me to refer him to the catechism of Eddie Izzard.

No comments: