2.15.2006

Still waters?

I don't know when this happened, but at some point in the past few days, Samson not only picked up a whole bunch of words, but he learned some lyrics.

We sing all the time. In our house, in the car, at the table. Not in a Family Von Trapp be-lederhosened way, mind you, but still, we sing a lot. We cover the classics like "Itsy Bitsy Spider," "You Are My Sunshine," and "Down at the Station." And if things are really desperate, we break out the "Stairway to Heaven" of kids' songs: "Old MacDonald."

[Sidenote: this song can last for hours; I've gotten far enough into it that I've had Old MacD with deer on his farm. When I get to the part about the sound they make, I do the eyes thing that Susanna Hoffs did in the video for "Walk Like an Egyptian."]

[Second sidenote: I was in Cairo a few years ago. You should know: nobody walks like that there. I figured I could blend in with the locals by aping their gait; they spotted me as an outsider right away.]

Anyway, the other night, Vicki and I were putting Samson to bed and singing when we noticed he was supplying the last word of each line of "Sunshine." Thinking it might be a fluke, we tried "Spider." Same deal. We ran through the rest of our nighttime repertoire, and sure enough, he knew at least the end words of every sentence of all of our songs. We were amazed.

Does this make him some kind of prodigy? Of course not. But it is pretty cool. [And I'll be honest, child prodigies tend to creep me out.]

Beyond being cool, this latest development is also a little spooky. Lord only knows what other words he's heard and has yet to unveil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Got another animal for Old McDonald's farm....pterodactyl. What can I say except that I too ran out of animals. As for a noise, just screech. Of course this animal should only be used in a non-bedtime and/or non-public setting since it will either wake the child up or cause someone to call the Dept of Child Protective Services.