5.05.2006

Nightmare

Samson has been having nightmares lately. So far, we've been unable to figure out what they're about, because he has simply been waking up either crying or saying "no. no like it!" Which is both funny and sad at the same time.

But sometime around 4:30 this morning, when he woke up crying and I went in, he said "gog."

Gog is his word for dog. We don't have one, but our next door neighbors have a good-sized dog that barks a lot. I have no idea what breed he is, but he's brown (does that help?). And he's a pretty nice dog, I guess. [Although I can't figure out why he barks when I am in my yard. If I was walking into his yard, I'd get it. I digress.]

In any event, I guess Samson is afraid of this dog. He's been skittish around other dogs as well, including some that probably weigh less than our cat, so maybe that's just his thing. [As a child I was afraid of Sasquatch. Seriously.]

Of course, he could really be saying "Gog," which is one half of the duo Gog and Magog found in the Bible. This idea occurred to me last night as I stood rocking him in the early morning quiet of his room.

Maybe he's having dreams about the apocalypse.

I mean he does read "Thomas the Tank Engine Witnesses the Rapture" a lot, not to mention "Richard Scarry's Great Big Book of Armageddon."

And now that I think about it, maybe that mobile I made for him out of old Iron Maiden cds wasn't such a great idea.

Anyway, he eventually fell peacefully back to sleep. And when he woke, he was his usual smiling self. Of course, I'm a zombie this morning from dreaming about the end of days, but that's my own fault...

No comments: