5.23.2006

Slick


It's when the house gets quiet that you know Samson is up to something.

Almost everything he could possibly get into has been out of reach for months now. I say almost, because we obviously forgot to put the tub of vaseline back with his diaper stuff and out of his reach.

Vicki said she found him rubbing it on his pants and saying "lotion." You can see from the photo that his head and neck were almost glossy from the stuff. He may be baby smooth until his 20s...

For those of you who haven't had the joy of finding your child covered in petroleum jelly, nothing short of sandblasting gets it off.

We ended up throwing all of his clothes into the tub, where we made a half-hearted effort to clean them. This stuff is sort of like napalm --- it just doesn't come off.

Ultimately, we decided to say the heck with it and just throw his viscous little outfit away.

Interestingly, the more people I tell this story to, the more people tell me of similar experiences from their own childhood. This must be some kind of toddler rite-of-passage I missed when I was his age.

I'm just glad the cat was asleep in the basement when all of this happened.

No comments: