2.26.2007

The house always wins, part II

For reasons I cannot explain, I forgot to pull the washcloth out of the tub last night after giving Samson his bath. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but --- again, for reasons beyond my powers of explanation --- I had chosen a baby-sized washcloth instead of going with the full-sized one. Here's a tip for new parents or even old parents: Skip the baby-sized washcloths, they're wily and small and will cost you money in the end.

By the time I discovered this, the little yellow washcloth was already on a great big adventure in the pipes of our house. So I went and got the plunger and worked at trying to retrieve the thing.

For his part, Samson thought it was hilarious to see me standing ankle-deep in his bathwater plunging the drain. I eventually got the water to go down, but I was unable to summon up the little yellow washcloth from wherever it was hiding.

Terrific. So now it's Sunday night and we've got a clogged pipe. Nothing to do but wait.

The plumber came today and, in Dwight Shrute-like fashion, informed Vicki that he thought there was at least a 25 percent chance that he'd have to saw through the wall. Apparently his partner was more of a glass-half-full (or 3/4 full) kind of guy, and he went to the truck and got some kind of robo-snake thing and pulled out the little yellow washcloth.

Shrute guy also offered Vicki a helpful primer on what can and cannot go in the toilet or down the drain. I'm pretty sure washcloths are on the "no" list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was recently given a Dwight Shrute bobble-head doll, it would fit nicely down the drain if you wish to borrow it for future plumbing excursions.
PS Any time you have to plunge a tub drain always cover the vent with a wet rag. Remove the chrome vent cover if you are able for a better seal.

Anonymous said...

And never let someone saw open you walls without a second opinion. Especially if you havent called roto-rooter