2.28.2007

Samson Agonistes


I actually considered posting about this at 5:15 this morning, but I couldn't get my eyes open enough to make my way downstairs to the computer.

I'll explain: Last night, Vicki was putting Samson to bed and I was feeding Jane. [Among the coolest features of baby 2.0 is the fact that she takes a bottle, so I can actually do something useful for her that doesn't involve cleaning up poop or spit-up. At least not right away.]

Anyway, it was about 7:30 when Vicki came downstairs and said the words I fear most at that time of night: "We don't have La-La."

Apparently --- and I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner --- Samson left La-La behind at school and neither he nor Vicki noticed when she picked him up. So began the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Again, I was spared the worst of this because I was with Sweet Jane, but it was tough-going for about 30 minutes or more. [Sidenote, this website has a tremendous catalog of recorded concerts available for streaming, so while all was in disarray upstairs, Jane and I were enjoying a 1990 Grateful Dead concert recorded in Oakland. Scarlet begonias indeed.]

Despite the fact that Samson is OK with all the members of the La-La family, #1 is the only one he really wants in times of stress or when it's time for bed. Vicki was finally able to convince him that #2 was La-La's Mommy and #3 was the La-La baby and that he should snuggle down with them until the morning when we could pick #1 up from her overnight adventure at school.

Unfortunately, this was not the end. He was up more times during the night than Jane was. He kept having nightmares about "Moppy" --- which either stems from some deep-seated fear of manual labor or is a new kid at school --- and ended up in our bed around 5.

Two and a half full hours before his school opened. So we had plenty of time to discuss the extraction plan. Over and over.

By six, Jane had arrived (OK, I brought her in), looking to be fed, and we were once again glad we bought a king-sized bed all those years ago.

The upshot is that at 7:30, La-La was successfully recovered after a night spent in Samson's cubby. She was hugged and bitten and snuggled and promptly left on the floor of the kitchen about a minute after she got home.

No comments: