11.29.2007

Bleak Friday


Rather than spend the Friday after Thanksgiving fighting the hordes at the mall, we decided to spend the Friday after Thanksgiving stuck among the hordes at the annual Festival of Trees.

It was nice, in a 19,000-people-stuck-in-an-arena-with-Johnny-Matthis-being-piped-in sort of way. Actually, it was fine --- although there were a few moments where I wondered if there were any religions I could convert to that didn't require annual exposure to Bing Crosby on an endless loop. Maybe Zoroastrianism?

The event is actually a fundraiser for a local research and treatment hospital for children. So as I browsed the rows of dancing Santas and NFL-themed trees, I kept reminding myself "good deed, good deed, good deed."

And my parents and the kids loved it. Actually, so did Vicki. So maybe it's just me.

Regardless, there was a Santa and a magic show and some rides. The highlight for Samson was his favorite band, Milkshake, but I'd have to say his second favorite thing might have been the foot-long hot dog he ate.

It was uncanny; maybe we just need to put whatever we want him to eat in a foot-long bun. He might yet crack the 30-pound mark.

No comments: