9.21.2008

Metaphysics on the soccer pitch

Samson had his first soccer game on Friday. More on this later, but as we weren't sure there would be room for him on the team --- or, quite frankly, if he was going to actually get out there and play --- we brought him in just sneakers and sweats.

Which meant that yesterday we went out to get him a pair of shin guards and soccer socks. Once said gear was acquired, of course, we needed to go test it out. Poor Jane hadn't slept well the night before and was out cold in her car seat, so Samson and I went and kicked the ball around while Jane (and eventually, Vicki) took a nap in the car in the parking lot of the park.

So there we were, father and son on a sunny late summer day, just kicking the ball around and running back and forth between the goals, when the following conversation took place:

Samson [kicking to me]: "How does someone get sent to heaven?"

Me [slowing down]: "What do you mean? Has someone been talking about this at school?"

Samson: "No, but like with Ishmael. Where did he go?"

[NB: I should point out that up until now I had been sticking with the 'he went to live with Santa' story, but clearly the jig is up on that bit of fiction. So much the better, I guess, as Samson doesn't seem all too scarred by the whole thing --- as you'll see from the rest of our conversation.]

Me: "Well, his body didn't go anywhere, but I like to think that his soul went to heaven. Do you know what a soul is? It's something that makes you really special and that only you have."

Samson: "Is it from you and Mommy?"

Me: "No, it's from God. You know how when you light a candle, there's a flame at the top. I like to think of your soul like that. Without that flame a candle is just a piece of wax, but when it's lit it's something special. So when Ishmael was done with his body, it was kind of like blowing out a candle. You know, like how the smoke goes up into the sky? Kind of like that. That's how I like to think of it anyway."

Samson [pausing, looking up at me]: "I really like the Red Power Ranger. Did you know that?"

Me [kicking ball]: "Uh, actually, I did."

There's probably a reason Afterschool Special wasn't a reality show.

2 comments:

tj sondermann said...

My friend.

That may be the most beautiful metaphor I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

Heartbreakingly sweet. A beautiful metaphor that I will surely use when the opportunity arises.

Thanks for another great blog post!