9.18.2008

Mondegreen

The word mondegreen is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of those happy instances where someone has come up with a perfect distillation of something it would take you at least a few sentences to explain.

Samson, in the few years that he's been talking (and to be honest, at this point it feels like he's been talking since birth), has become a master of the mondegreen.

I've mentioned before that Samson is obsessed with Vampire Weekend's "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa." What I didn't mention was that he calls it "the Sy-ungus song."

Why? Because the first line is "As a young girl..." and he, apparently, thought the singer was saying "Sy-ungus." It only took us about a month to figure out where he was getting the name from.

Which isn't bad, considering I spent most of my childhood assuming Pink Floyd was talking about the "Dukes of Hazard in the classroom."

No comments: