9.02.2008

Running


Because of the incredibly mild weather we've had, I've been going running a few times a week in the morning before I get ready for work. Lately, my runs have included Samson and Jane in our jogger. Is there any better motivation than hearing "Daddy, are you awake? Want to go for a short run this morning?"

Despite the fact that Samson and Jane combined barely tip the scales at 50 lbs, pushing the two of them (especially uphill) is quite a workout. For her part, Jane is content to sit and just kind of enjoy the scenery --- provided she's got her Winnie the Pooh and something to eat. Samson, however, treats these runs like "Crossfire." Tons of questions, follow-ups, double-backs, and gotchas. And because he's inevitably cold, he wears a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and insists on having the stroller's sunshade thing pulled over.

Even so, I can usually handle the questions for the first 10 minutes or so, but then I tend to start breathing a little heavier and just saying yes to whatever he's asking. This, of course, leaves me no room for taking the high ground when we get back from our run and he informs Vicki that I told him he could have SourPatch Kids for breakfast.

Speaking of which, Samson refuses to bring food with him on our runs. His reason: "I don't like to eat before I run." I wish I was kidding.

So these runs are not particularly long --- a half hour at most. But I really cherish this time being out with the kids in the early morning. The streets are quiet, the sky is clear, and it's really a nice way to begin the day. And while I don't want to get all after school special on you, I also really cherish the fact that I can do this.

I've been thinking a lot about health lately and how determined I am to remain healthy --- not just for me, but for my family. Obviously running two or three miles a few times a week with Things 1 and 2 is not some kind of guarantee. But it certainly can't hurt.

Also, the decision to use pictures of the kids actually running instead of me with them was deliberate. Sam and Jane look cute and free and taken with the pure joy of running.

I look sort of like a sweaty giraffe pushing a shopping cart...

No comments: