8.21.2008

The song remains the same

One of the reasons I quit band in high school was because I really didn't like to practice. I also really didn't like carrying a trombone around. And I absolutely hated marching.

Even then I realized the commitment needed to be able to play something well was more than I was willing to give. Also, I couldn't stand hearing the same song over and over and over again.

Apparently, Samson doesn't have that gene. Indeed, his ability to hear the same song on a seemingly endless loop borders on Guantanamo-worthy.

Seriously, I have now heard Vampire Weekend's "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" at least six times a day, every day, for about two solid months. He sets up some boxes and bowls in front of the radio, gets out his drum sticks, and plays along.

And when the song is done, he starts it up again. Which tells me he definitely has the patience and dedication to be a real musician. It also tells me we should, for everyone's sake, get him a drumkit for his birthday next month and put said kit in the basement.

In case you think I'm making this whole thing up, see here for independent confirmation.

No comments: