8.21.2008

Pathos

The other day we made one of those super stock-up trips to the supermarket, you know the kind where you need just about everything. With the cart full to overflowing, I took Samson to get the car while Vicki and Jane hung back to finish checking out and planned to meet us in the designated loading zone.

Unsurprisingly, there was a minivan that looked like ours already in the zone. I guess Jane thought Samson and I were in it, however, because when it pulled away, she burst into tears and cried out: "NO! ME! BEEP! BEEP! NOO! MEE! BEEP! BEEP!"

Of course she was both confused and relieved when Sam and I pulled up a moment later. But the tears in her eyes (much less the story, when I heard it) were enough to break my heart.

Sweet Jane is aware of way more than we give her credit for.

No comments: