12.02.2008

How many weeks until spring training?

Last night I did a little Christmas shopping for the kids and picked Samson up his first real baseball glove. It's the Rawlings Derek Jeter tee-ball model, and I cannot wait for him to open it and for us to be able to play catch outside.

[Sidenote: I can still remember my first glove, signed by Richie Zisk, who was not a household name even in households in towns where he played. Nice to see some marquee guys sponsoring the little gloves these days.]

Samson, as I've noted in earlier posts, has pretty good eye-hand coordination and hits really well. Catching, I think, will be a bit more challenging, but I'm really looking forward to teaching him.

And call me silly, but as I stood in the aisle at Target last night digging through the tee-ball gloves, I could practically smell the first buds on our birch tree and almost felt the chilly air of early April in our backyard. Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

derek jeter model, careful Vicki's cousin Amy don 't take it. and better than a red sox model