1.26.2009

A New Hope



What this video lacks in clarity, it more than makes up for in nostalgia. I didn't have this toy, but I definitely remember the commercial.

After a six-month hiatus, the Star Wars figures are back in circulation. Yesterday was a typical midwinter Sunday, and Samson and I made the best of Jane's marathon nap [almost 3 hours] by playing Star Wars in the basement. I say "playing," but this was like the Bataan Death March of action figure play.

If my attention wandered for even a moment, I was reprimanded with "Daddy! You're not playing." In fairness, he did let me leave the room for bathroom breaks. But he also followed me to ensure my swift return. [Sidenote: Vicki was out at a craft/business conference, which was for the best because Sam is suspicious of her ability to "play right" with the Star Wars figures. Poor Vicki tries, but I think Samson knows she spent her youth with Barbie and not Boba.]

Sam's surveillance notwithstanding, it was good to see the guys again. As is his wont lately, he immediately laid claim to the bad guys and consigned me to the clearly inferior "good guy team."

Again, I'm pretty sure it's all costume-based. Seriously, who looks cooler than Boba Fett? Not pasty Luke Skywalker in his weird bathrobe and leggings get-up, that's for sure. And apparently, when I was about six or seven, my favorite figure was Darth Vader. This couldn't possibly be genetic, could it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bad guy team was always more appealing b/c they all about the glitz and glamor. Darth Vadar, Cobra Commander, Megatron, The Joker - they hatched elaborate plans to gain absurd levels of wealth and power. And who doesn't want to ride that wave? Unfortunately, their plans were always squashed by the good guy team who sustained equality and the betterment of life. How boring.