6.27.2008

Dada strikes back

Samson's foray into the world of Star Wars figures is about to take a time out. For about two weeks now, he's been playing with all the guys and ships and generally doing a good job. However, he's probably still just a little too young to play with these things and not, well, break them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not this guy.

But I'd still like to keep these toys, some of which were first played with during the Carter administration, in tact. Not perfect. Certainly not in their original boxes (which I never saw the point of). But with wings working, wheels functioning, and heads firmly atop shoulders.

Which brings me to the decision to put the toys back in the attic for a bit. The other morning Sam decided to drum out a beat on the floor using Princess Leia. Remember that scene in Clash of the Titans when Perseus (years before he made it big as lawyer in L.A.) sheared off Medusa's head? It was sort of like that. Just a clean pop and some rolling.

Not a huge deal, and he didn't get in trouble. But perhaps we were a little hasty with the whole "hey, why don't you play with these old (and apparently) fragile toys" thing. I did pick him up a few figures of his own [Boba Fett, natch, and a cool Stormtrooper] so he wouldn't be bereft of all action figure, er, action. And I imagine that by this time next week he'll have moved on to something else. He's been carrying his little doctor's bag around the house for the past few days, so we may already be on the verge of a new thing.

Also, I'm also pretty sure that the Leia figure was my sister's. Don't tell her; we'll send a card...

No comments: