6.17.2008

Father's Day


For Father's Day, Vicki and the kids took me hiking. It's been a while since we've been on any kind of trail, and I was a little worried that Jane would protest being in the backpack. Clearly my fears were unfounded.


Vicki and I hiked this place years ago, but I didn't remember it until we'd gotten about a half-mile into the trails. The place is a nature preserve, and at one point we were in some kind of grove surrounded by honey suckle bushes. When the wind blew, the sweetness in the air was almost overpowering. Seriously, it was almost Arthurian (minus all the chain mail and wizardy stuff). It's not hard to see how years ago people thought of forests as enchanted.

At one point, Vicki and Samson went on ahead to explore, and Jane and I just stood still. The sun was warm on my face, a slight breeze rose off the water, and the stillness was broken only by the sound of a cricket or two in the tall grass.

Of course, this little transcendental reverie was broken when Sam tested out his "sword" on Vicki's leg [clearly he too was feeling Arthurian], but it was nice while it lasted.

No comments: