12.27.2006

The night before Christmas

Samson's ear infection notwithstanding, he had a great time at Jacob's house. And when we came home, we were ready with our milk and cookies for Santa.


[Sidenote: Growing up, we always left a mug of beer and some cheese and crackers for Santa. I wish I was kidding about this. It wasn't until I was older (like college-aged) that I learned that this was not what other families did. I'm torn between admiration for my Dad for the sheer audacity of the proposal (which went on for years) and horror at the idea that as kids, my sister and I fought over the honor of who got to pour "Santa's beer" for him. Nothing like giving old St. Nick one for the road...]

Anyway, as you can see, we not only put out milk and cookies for Santa, but we also left him a note and put some food out for his reindeer. In case you're wondering, reindeer food (courtesy of Miss Jacki at Sam's school) is made out of oatmeal and sparkles. It was a cold, clear night when we put it out. Unfortunately, it rained all Christmas day, so we ended up with a nice, sparkly papier-mache on our front steps when we finally changed out of our PJs on the 26th and rejoined the world.

No comments: