8.22.2006

The adventure begins...

I was supposed to post this yesterday, but the day got away from me.

Yesterday was Vicki's first day back to work, and since Samson's school won't take him until he turns two --- and we were disinclined to go fake I.D. shopping [although I think he could pass for Josh Williams from Ft. Lee, NJ] --- we're short on childcare for a few days.

She's only working Mondays and Tuesdays, so this week I got a four-day weekend and a chance to spend some extra time with my guy. Which suits me just fine.

I wasn't sure how he'd handle Vicki leaving in the morning, so I tried to schedule a few things to keep us busy.

First and foremost, we took our old license plates to the motor vehicles office.

More about our new car later [and yes, we have joined minivanation], but I should note here that our trusted Saturn (a vintage 93 wagon with 178,000 miles on it) was duly donated last week to charity. I won't miss riding so low to the ground, and I certainly won't miss the non-functioning air conditioning (which just started in July when the record highs came), but it was a good car.

And after all those years and all those miles, it didn't owe us anything. Be well, Old Blue, I'll miss you.


Onward: After our trip to MVA, we went to visit Samson's school, which I had yet to see, and meet his teacher, whom I had yet to meet. The school is affiliated with the Episcopalian church just up the road from us and was recommended by a colleague of mine. It's really cute, and Samson walked right up to some kids who were playing and just kind of joined in.

So that was nice. His teacher, Miss Jackie, seems kind and was excited to meet Samson. And we took a tour of the school: the lunchroom, the playground, the chapel. Did I mention they have chapel on Tuesdays? What would you give to see a class of two-year-olds in chapel?

All in all, I think he'll have less trouble adjusting than Vicki and I will.

And here's the rub: I've been anticipating Vicki having to adjust to letting him go, since she's been home with him for his whole life. Literally. But I hadn't even considered how I might feel. After all, I leave every day to go to work, so while I know what I'm missing each day, there isn't much choice in the matter for me.

But the sight of him just walking around among all those kids and doing his thing suddenly hit me. And I got a little, well, verklempt.

Like I said, the school is nice, the teacher is nice, and the kids were really cute and (mostly) friendly. But I may need Jackie O glasses as I leave from dropping him off on that first day.

1 comment:

Northern_Girl said...

Jackie O sunglasses go without saying. My oldest is going to be a (gasp) Freshman in High School, and I still dust off the Jackie O's every fall.

I'm not sure if it is good or bad that that feeling doesn't go away.