8.17.2006

Big brother

Rock star. Train enthusiast. Truck-whisperer. Cat chaser.

To all these titles, young Samson will soon add big brother. Vicki is pregnant and due in January. We had the ultrasound done on Wednesday, and it looks like we're having a girl. I say "looks like" because it's not as apparent as the ultrasound for a boy.

[I should also note here that for me, watching an ultrasound is like watching scrambled cable; every once in a while something recognizable would flash on screen. Most of the time, however, I was just watching a shimmering field of grays, blacks, and whites. Of course, Vicki and the ultrasound technician had a grand old time talking about what they were seeing --- "yup, there are the toes" and "see the femur here?" or "look at those cute little fingers..."]

As you can imagine, we are over the moon about this. Vicki is already planning some kind of pink revolution in the nursery, and we are slowly but surely working on Samson about how great it is to be a big brother and how much fun a baby sister will be. As someone who has a baby sister, I usually add, parenthetically, "eventually."

But I think it's going to be great; and I wouldn't trade my sister for anything. I can only hope Samson and this little one grow up as close.

So big news, for sure, and some big changes in store as Vicki goes back to work part-time next week and Samson starts "school" right after his second birthday next month.

On the logistics front, we have slowly started the grand rearrangement in our house. What was the computer room will soon be Samson's room, complete with big-boy bed (suggestions on that front are welcome).

And of course Samson's current room will be turned over to the baby (and presumably de-truckified). Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Kel said...

Many congrats to you and your family :)

Anonymous said...

Do you want your little sister back?

dada said...

NO!

(Did I say that too quickly?)