8.07.2007

The importance of being ironic

So we went to an 80s-themed barbecue on Saturday. With the kids representing the Bonsai dojo, we thought it only right that Vicki and I represent Cobra Kai.

So, ever-industrious, Vicki designed a second set of t-shirts featuring the All Valley Karate Championship logo and the Cobra Kai dojo logo. We even got to wear those tough-looking black headbands made popular by a young Billy Zabka back in the day.

At the party, there were some very clever outfits --- some mullet wigs, lots of ripped up jorts, a guy in Richard Simmons gear, and even an original charm necklace.

Like any costume party, some folks opted not to dress, which to me is not only weird but kind of rude. But I digress. It was getting late [and by late, I mean near Jane's bedtime of 6:30 pm] when a recent, non-costumed arrival sidled over to me as his daughter and Samson were playing. He looked to be about my age, maybe a year or two younger. [This is important to remember.] Taking note of my t-shirt, he asked: "So, were you at the All Valley championship?"

Assuming he was in on the joke, I said, "Oh, yeah. All the Cobra Kais were there."

To which he followed up: "So how did you do?"

Again, still thinking he was being ironic, I said, "I was disqualified. You know, the whole 'sweeping the leg thing.' "

He then paused, looked a bit confused, and asked, "Is that move against the rules? I mean, I guess it could be really dangerous, right?"

At which point I realized we'd been having two entirely different conversations. Now I should point out that we were at an 80s party and that I was not only wearing a black t-shirt with a fierce-looking cobra on it but also a black headband.

I would have understood if I'd shown up as disgraced former Secretary of the Interior James Watt or pine tar or the winner of the 1983 Nobel Prize in literature. Even Clara Peller has been lost to the ages...

But Cobra Kai? Cobra freaking Kai?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you wore Daniel-san's shower costume, you could have avoided the entire ridiculous conversation.