5.14.2007

The Gospel according to Sam


Samson's class has chapel every Monday, and so every Monday night at dinner we get a little piece of what occurred. For the past few weeks, the class has been going into the church to look at the stained glass windows, see the altar, etc. I think all this preparation work was leading up to today, where they celebrated some version of the last supper.

I say "some version" for two reasons. One, because we got something about this in the mail, but I can't remember exactly what it said or whether we gave permission for him to have wine. He kept talking about wine at dinner, but I'm betting it was grape juice. I base this on the fact that he was still wide awake (and belting out songs about bread and Jesus) at 8 o'clock tonight.

Reason two comes from the recap we got, which I'll try to reproduce verbatim.

Me: "So what did you learn in chapel?"

Samson: "God was sad."

Me: "Really? Why was he sad?"

Samson: "Because of Jesus."

Me: "Oh..."

Samson: "Jesus took his bread and wine. And God wanted it back. So he gave it to his guys."

Me: "The apostles?"

Samson: "Yes. The poss...possers. Then he was happy."

Me: "Did you sing any songs?"

Samson: "Then the bunnies ate the bread. And they put it in a bucket."

[At this point, I think he decided to see how far he could take the story before I became suspicious. One of his bowls is some kind of Beatrix Potter print with bunnies on it; I'm pretty sure these bunnies have buckets. Also, while I guess there may have been bunnies in the Garden of Gethsemane, I'm reasonably certain they didn't have much of a role one way or the other in the whole "Take this bread and eat it" scenario.]

No comments: