5.18.2007

The sport of kings


Because the Preakness is tomorrow, there are all sorts of local (and free) events this week around town. Among them is a chance to visit Pimlico at sunrise for a tour of the stables and a chance to see the horses work out.

Such an event at that time of day is probably appealing only to parents with small children and serious gamblers. Falling squarely into the first camp, and going on a tip from a friend who had taken his daughter the morning before, I made plans for a little Sam and Daddy adventure: Sunrise at the racetrack.

Unfortunately, yesterday morning, in the doorway, keys-in-hand, was when I learned that Samson is a little afraid of horses. I'd turned the news on as we were getting dressed to show him where we were headed, and he seemed OK but not overly enthusiastic. Of course, it was 6:40 in the morning, so I didn't give it much thought. But as were literally on our way out the door, he began to let me know that he really had no interest in going and that, in fact, he wasn't a big fan of horses. Truth be told, they frightened him. [Note to self: The next time an episode of Thomas is on in competition with Godfather I, we should watch Thomas.]

So, unwilling to simply call it a day before the day had begun, I suggested we go see the 6:30 hot air balloon launch taking place at a park about 20 minutes from our house. Not bad for a quick fix, I thought, and we drove north in the early morning light.

Unfortunately, the launch was scheduled for 6:30 PM [a quick call to Vicki revealed my small but important mistake], so our arrival at approximately 7:03 AM meant we had our pick of parking spots but not much else.

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed. Selfishly, I'd planned this cool, almost cinematic experience for us: Morning at the race track, mist coming off the infield, and the thunderous sound of hoofs in the chill morning air. Instead we were sitting in an empty parking lot in a northern suburb and would probably hit rush hour traffic just trying to get home.

However, if Samson was disappointed, he didn't show it. I'm still not sure if he thought the empty playground at the park was the "really fun thing" I'd been referencing in the car. So after a quick trip to Panera for a muffin and some coffee [or a bagel and some chocolate milk], we spent about an hour as kings of the playground.

And the whole family went back that night to see the balloons launch. I don't know that it would have been worth an 11-hour wait, but it was pretty amazing to see.

So I guess the moral of the story is: It's OK if you can't tell time as long as you have a Vicki at home to cover for you. Also, things don't seem nearly as bleak after coffee and a few good swings on the monkey bars. Still, I really would like to have seen those horses. Maybe Jane will go with me next year...