5.29.2007

The Running Man


Among the weekend's festivities was a 5K on Saturday that Oliver's dad (Mr. Gary, official legal advisor of this blog) and I ran. It was awfully muggy by 8:15, and right around mile 2, I started to wonder --- since this was a neighborhood race --- if there were any water stations. Indeed there were, but I wished I'd brought a small bottle with me.

In case you're wondering, I finished 130th out of 302 runners with a time of 27:46. I had hoped to make it under 30 minutes, so this was not bad. Obviously, it's not great but it was a consistent 9 minute 15 second per mile pace.

Still, I was passed (pretty quickly, I might add) by a woman pushing a double stroller with two full-size toddlers inside. On the official results website, I counted at least a dozen kids who are not old enough to see PG-13 movies who beat me.

And toward the end of the race I heard a cheer go up from behind me "Way to go, Grandma! Almost there." Oh, the humanity.

Even so, Gary and I had our own cheering section, and it felt good to be out running on a sunny Saturday morning.

No comments: