5.11.2007

Story time

It only took me half a year to figure it out, but Samson does a lot better with the drop-off at school if I spend a few minutes with him in his class before heading off to work. Lately, we've developed a little routine where I'll put his things into his cubby while he goes and picks out a book from the bookshelf. We'll then read the book together, and then he's pretty content to go and play with his classmates.

Clearly this has not gone unnoticed. For the past week or two, Samson and I have been joined by Colin, a newer member of Sam's class. He doesn't say a whole lot but usually brings a book with him too and will look up at me and solemnly intone: "Ree boo." Which, I assume, means he wants me to read to him as well. If I have time, I try to read both books to the boys. [In case you're wondering, I'm almost never on time for work.]

This morning, however, I had everybody. Six kids and me at the snack table reading about Steve and Blue, his dog, and their picnic. We then proceeded to a lift-the-flap book about Winnie the Pooh and his lost honey pot. Big hit with the crowd, especially because the whole book is spent looking for said honey pot but finding other things (socks, tea kettle, balloon) in all the wrong places (oven, bathtub, under the carpet).

Obviously, I realize what a tremendously difficult job it must be to have charge of 8 or 10 2-year-olds on a daily basis. But sitting on the floor with all those kids and hearing them laugh as we turned each page was a pretty nice way to start the day.

And I have to say I was pretty impressed with Samson: He seemed fairly willing to share me for at least a few minutes. This is not always the case at home, where he's starting to get a little more protective of me and my time (as in, "Hold me! Let Mommy hold Janie!" or "Janie's tired --- she should go to bed now.")

No comments: