9.27.2005

Paging Corey Hart

Suddenly, diaper changing has become a time for asserting one's independence. Samson is now fully against having diapers --- which clearly need changing --- changed. I can't say it's a full on protest. I mean we don't have people marching around the changing table with oversized puppets of me and Vicki; and there is no one shouting "the whole world is watching" as I try to make the diaper switch, but it's still pretty intense.

In case you're wondering what form this resistance could take: He wriggles and writhes like Iggy Pop circa 1975 [note to self: try very hard to keep Sam from becoming the next Iggy Pop].

Usually we give him something (a book, a hairbrush, Piggy's conch) to keep him occupied. Lately, however, he is too smart for this, and so I've come up with a new plan. It's ingenuity is overshadowed only by its complete and utter ridiculousness.

For some reason, Samson finds it funny when I wear sunglasses. Whenever I put them on, he laughs. So I have taken to changing his diapers while wearing sunglasses (sometimes at night). It keeps him still for a few minutes, and it lets me get the job done. Laugh if you want, but it works.

I may just keep them on and see what else they help with (dinner? bedtime? baths?).

I bet this is how Roy Orbison started out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades oh no. Don't masquerade with the guy in shades oh no. I can't believe it!

Anonymous said...

That would really be a hoot and a half if Brian played "Sunglasses At Night" on Piggy's conch.