9.02.2005

The people in our neighborhood

Samson loves garbage trucks. And garbagemen, apparently. We were coming back from a walk this morning and spotted the truck halfway down the block. We waited, somewhat patiently (ok, I waited patiently, Sam was practically airborne) as the truck made its way to our house. As they pulled up, he gave his happiest barbaric yawp and waved at the guys.

Now I try not to be one of those people who thinks 1) that everyone loves or should love my child; and/or 2) that everything Samson does is brilliant and worthy of the world's praise and astonishment. But it did my heart good to see the driver and the other two guys all perk up when they saw him waving and give him big smiles and wave back. I bet they don't get that kind of reception at too many houses.

I don't want to idealize infancy --- let's face it, you're really small, you fall down a lot, and you end up, more than once a day, with poo in your pants. But to be able to experience the kind of pure and uncomplicated joy from everyday things like garbage trucks and streetlights. What would you give for just a minute of that? I get close holding/watching Samson, but it's still one degree removed. Even so, I'll take it.

1 comment:

dada said...

Sorry about that, the phrase doesn't appear until line 1333, but there was no way to link right to it.

If I was a little more tech savvy, I could upload audio files. But Samson rarely "yawps" on command anyway...