9.05.2005

Thoreau in pampers



When not trying to eat nature (and test my reaction time), he really seems to enjoy himself.

We took a nice long walk today on an old decommissioned railroad trail. Another perfect day weatherwise, and it was great to watch him taking in all the sights and sounds of the trail. We watched the sun hit water as it flowed over rocks near a bend in the river. And we listened to the cicadas calling back and forth from the trees.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I think there's an Afrikaans phrase that translates roughly to "gathering wood." What it refers to is taking specific notice of an instance, kind of like mentally photographing something, in the knowledge that years from now (in life's winter?) the memory of the event will keep you warm. The batteries died in the camera as we hit the trail, but I did my best to pay attention as Samson watched a butterfly that flew up near his face and then alighted in some nearby wildflowers.

No comments: